Welcome to Monroe County Medical Society
MCMS Member Alexander Strasser, MD will appear in a Ken Burns documentary about Nazi Germany, Defying the Nazis: The Sharps' War. The program will air on Tues., Sept. 20 at 9 pm on PBS. Dr. Strasser was interviewed for the program and a picture of him at age 6 will also be shown.
NYSDOH is presenting a series of Zika Virus webinars during September.
NYSDOH two-year report for the Medical Use of Marijuana Under the Compassionate Care Act.
MSSNY has produced an audio podcast entitled “What Patients Need To Know About Zika". It's available free of charge and provides NYS patients with important information on the Zika virus. Individuals may listen to the podcast here.
- Sexual and Reproductive Health Care Best Practices for Adolesents and Adults, from the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.
- The MCMS Board of Directors recently approved a Telemedicine Position Statement to assist physicians as consideration is given to providing telemedicine services.
In recognition of September as National Prostate Cancer Awareness Month, local survivor families have organized the 2nd Annual S.E.A. Blue Ribbon Walk for Prostate Cancer, Saturday August 20, at Genesee Valley Park. Registration is $30. Promo codes allowing a 50% discount will be made available to employees/families of interested medical groups/nonprofits. To avoid long lines at the event, providers and patients are encouraged to register in advance. Call (585) 787-4011 or email UsTooRochesterNY@gmail.com for more info.
- AMA's comments on the proposed regulations to implement the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA).
- Many thanks to the physicians who took the time to contact their respective legislators to discuss the Statute of Limitations and other important proposed legislation. MCMS also wishes to extend its sincere gratitude to Elizabeth Dears, Medical Society of the State of NY Senior Vice President Legislative & Regulatory Affairs, and her staff for their tireless efforts during the 2016 legislative session. Their critical work benefits physician in all practice settings and their patients. See details from MSSNY.
- Zika Virus Resources
- The antidote: 3 things to consider when co-prescribing naloxone, from AMA
- For patients who have Original Medicare and uses diabetes testing supplies, Medicare is continuing its National Mail-Order Program.
- Notice from DOH Comm. Dr. Zucker and OASAS Comm. Gonzalez-Sanchez re: resources to assist with accessing substance use disorder care.
- Handout from NYSDOH for medical providers that highlights the steps for prescribing Pre-exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) and provides links to resources about PrEP.
- A Guide to Physician-Focused Alternative Payment Models, from the AMA.
- The Feds are Coming! Are You Ready for a HIPAA Compliance Audit? from Underberg & Kessler.
- MCMS announces a new Preferred Vendor – AdvoWaste Medical Services. See flyer, which describes their exclusive offering to MCMS members. If you are interested in speaking to their representatives, please let them know you are a member of MCMS.
- DOH process for use of e-Rx Exemptions
- E-prescribing mandate reminder from the NYS Department of Health
- Letter from the NYS Commissioner of Health to practitioners and pharmacists regarding additional temporary exceptions to the electronic prescribing mandate (effective March 27, 2016). For additional information regarding e-prescribing, visit the Bureau of Narcotic’s webpage.
- E-Prescribing Waiver Applications Now Available from BNE
- StatLaw® Q&A re: e-prescribing waiver, from Kern Augustine Conroy & Schoppmann
- 2016 PQRS educational materials are available from CMS.
- PQRS Tipsheet - Incentive Eligibility & 2016 Negative Payment Adjustment
Medicare Part D
- Webinar: Medicare Online Enrollment Step-by-Step Tutorial for Part D Prescribers
- Effective June 1, 2016, Medicare Part D prescriptions will only be covered if the prescriber is enrolled in Medicare or has a valid opt-out affidavit on file with Medicare. If you are not enrolled in Medicare and wish to do so, you will need to complete the necessary enrollment through the PECOS system or complete a 855o form and mail to CMS at National Government Services, Inc., P.O. Box 7149, Indianapolis, IN 46207-7149.
- CDC Guideline for Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain
- New publications and resources on opioid and heroin abuse can be ordered free of charge for patients and parents on the NYS website
- Webinar: New CPT Codes for Advance Care Planning and MOLST Discussions, by Patricia Bomba, MD, FACP
- Meaningful Use Hardship Exemption Fact Sheet, from AMA.
- MLMIC announces 20% dividend. To take advantage of this dividend, you simply need to be insured by May 1, 2016, and maintain continuous coverage through July 1, 2016. Read more.
- McKesson Customer Alert: New Social Engineering Scheme
- 2016 EHR Negative Payment Adjustment Tipsheet for Eligible Professionals, from CMS. More info here.
- The NYS Workers’ Compensation Board is creating a web-based Medical Portal, enabling users to submit medical information electronically The first phase of the Medical Portal will be for the electronic submission of C-4-AUTH, MG-1, and MG-2 medical authorization treatment requests. They will be holding 1-hour webinars to demonstrate the Portal.
NYSDOH is offering a 4-hour medical use of marijuana course. Practitioners who wish to register with the Department and certify their patients for the Medical Marijuana Program must complete this course. The course covers: the pharmacology of marijuana; contraindications; side effects; adverse reactions; overdose prevention; drug interactions; dosing; routes of administration; risks and benefits; warnings and precautions; and abuse and dependence. Cost: $249. Practitioners will earn 4.5 hours of CME credit upon successful completion of the course. Access the course here.
- ICD-10 - Next Steps for Providers Assessment & Maintenance Toolkit, from CMS
- CMS Will Reimburse ICD-10 Mistakes During First Year After Transition - StateLaw Q&A from Kern Augustine Conroy & Schoppmann, P.C.
- CMS welcomes ICD-10
- Interim recommendations of the CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) regarding the use of FluMist® Quadrivalent for the 2016-2017 season.
- LAIV is not recommended for 2016-2017 Flu Season. Many practices have already ordered influenza vaccine for the 2016-2017 season. If you are interested in canceling your order(S) for LAIV, contact your vaccine distributor. See chart for helpful info.
- 2016 ACIP Recommended Immunization Schedules, Age 0 through 18. Summary of changes in schedule from 2016 to 2016.
- MMWR: New ACIP recommendations on intervals between PCV13 and PPSV23 pneumococcal vaccines. Co-authored by MCMS member Nancy Bennett, MD 1.usa.gov/1g7ZUCf
- Important notice from the NYS Dept of Health regarding new school immunization requirements.
- Updated NYSDOH Meningococcal B, HPV9, Influenza and Yellow Fever vaccine recommendations.
- MCMS Vaccination Statement
- NGS Medicare Revalidation
Physicians who are participating in the Medicaid based DSRIP through the local FLPPS will receive a physician agreement soon. Kern, Augustine, Conroy and Schoppmann, on behalf of MCMS, performed a legal review of the document. Comments can be found by logging into the Member area of the MCMS web site. Additional information about DSRIP and FLPPS can be found at http://flpps.org/.
Show Your MCMS Membership With A Member Badge! Post the badge on your website, in print materials, and in your email signature.Show that you stand with us in advocating for issues for the betterment of the medical profession; you belong to a professional organization committed to the health of our community.
- Snort. Sniffle. Sneeze. No Antibiotics Please, a CDC brochure for parents explains the difference between bacteria and viruses, what antibiotics are, and how bacteria become resistant. It also answers FAQs about when a child does or does not need an antibiotic.
Monroe County Medical Society
7th District Branch of the Medical Society of the State of New York
Serving Monroe, Livingston, Ontario, Seneca, Steuben, Wayne & Yates Counties
The Park at Allens Creek
132 Allens Creek Road
Rochester, New York 14618
Tel: (585) 473-7573 • Fax: (585) 473-7641
Contact Us • Driving Directions
© Copyright 2014 Monroe County Medical Society • Legal Disclaimer and Copyright Notice
Rochester skyline image © Sheridan Vincent