Welcome to Monroe County Medical Society
Physician and writer Abraham Verghese describes our strange new world where patients are merely data points, and calls for a return to the traditional one-on-one physical exam. Click here to see video on TedTalks.
6/19/15 - CDC Health Advisory - Clinical Considerations for the Evaluation of Ill Travelers from Liberia to the US.
MCMS is offering the MCMS Physician Network -- a new advertising opportunity that will help connect you to your colleagues and the community. Designed with physician members in mind for the purpose of referrals, listings will be featured in 4 issues of The Bulletin and / or 2 issues of Doctor’s Advice magazine; and on the MCMS website – accessible by all MCMS members and the community. Click here for more details. Contact Carol Burke at with any questions.
For the 2015-2016 flu season, ACIP recommends annual influenza vaccination for everyone 6 months and older with either LAIV or IIV, with no preference expressed for either vaccine when either one is otherwise appropriate. See additional information here.
A recording of the webinar “HPV Vaccine is Cancer Prevention: CDC’s Clinician Engagement Initiative” presented by Dr. Rebecca Perkins and Dr. Sharon Humiston on April 30, 2015, is now available on CDC’s YouTube Channel. A copy of the webinar presentation slides is available here.
CDC Health Advisory: Updated information and guidelines for evaluation of patients for Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV) infection.
URMC is presenting a 4-day retreat-like workshop, "Mindful Practice: Enhancing Quality of Care, Quality of Caring and Resilience", from October 14-17, 2015 at Chapin Mill Retreat Center, Batavia, NY. Designed for medical practitioners (physicians, NPs, PAs), this event is designed to improve the quality of care that clinicians provide while improving their own resilience and well-being. Course Directors: Ronald Epstein, MD & Mick Krasner, MD. Additional program details and registration can be found here.
MCMS has updated the Doctor-Patient Confidentiality for Minors brochure. Click here to download.
CDC Health Advisory: CDC continues to receive new reports of infections with Shigella strains that are not susceptible to ciprofloxacin and/or azithromycin, the antimicrobial agents most commonly used to treat shigellosis.
CDC has issued a Health Advisory on highly pathogenic Avian Influenza A viruses and recommendations for response.
It is with sadness that we report the death of Jacques Lipson, MD. Dr. Lipson served faithfully on the MCMS Board and was a Delegate to MSSNY for many years. Dr. Lipson will be missed by those of us who were fortunate enough to have known him.
Monroe County Department of Public Health has the shingles vaccine available at no charge for patients without insurance or whose insurance does not cover the vaccine.
CDC announced the availability of an interim Vaccine Information Statement (VIS) for HPV Vaccine Gardasil-9. The VIS for 4-valent Gardasil should not be used for Gardasil-9; the new HPV Gardasil-9 VIS should be used instead.
FDA is alerting health care practitioners and the public that a counterfeit version of Botox was found in the US and may have been sold to doctors’ offices and medical clinics nationwide. The product was sold by an unlicensed supplier who is not authorized to ship or distribute drug products in the United States.
MCMS has released its 2015 Physician Workforce Report, undertaken to assess physician access and identify any significant change in physician availability or in the professional environment in which local physicians operate.
Updated NYSDOH Meningococcal B, HPV9, Influenza and Yellow Fever vaccine recommendations.
- New out of network emergency / surprise bill rules go into effect March 31 - information from MSSNY
- MCMS Vaccination Statement
- NGS Medicare Revalidation
- CDC's new 2015 recommended immunization schedules for children http://1.usa.gov/1zzDanr & adolescents http://1.usa.gov/1yNGSrk
- Two Pneumococcal Vaccines: Who Gets What When? is a pneumococcal vaccine resource developed by the Ontario County Department. ACIP recently updated the pneumococcal vaccination recommendations for patients age 65 years or older. This week, Medicare released associated payment polices. ACIP Recommendation for Pneumococcal Vaccines for All Adults 65 Years or Older, effective Sep 19, 2014. *NOTE: PCV13 and PPSV23 now recommended for all adults 65 years or older. If not previously vaccinated, administer PCV13 first; give PPSV23 6-12 months after. If previously received PPSV23, administer PCV13 ≥12 months after.
- Information from Kern Augustine re: NYS Surprise Bill (Out-of Network legislation). Emergency Services and Surprise Bills, by Donald R. Moy, includes provisions of the law that affect physicians and other health care professionals.
- New publications and resources on opioid and heroin abuse can be ordered free of charge for patients and parents on the NYS website.
Monroe County Medical Society
7th District Branch of the Medical Society of the State of New York
Serving Monroe, Livingston, Ontario, Seneca, Steuben, Wayne & Yates Counties
The Park at Allens Creek
132 Allens Creek Road
Rochester, New York 14618
Tel: (585) 473-7573 • Fax: (585) 473-7641
Contact Us • Driving Directions
© Copyright 2014 Monroe County Medical Society • Legal Disclaimer and Copyright Notice
Rochester skyline image © Sheridan Vincent