Welcome to Monroe County Medical Society
Lifespan of Greater Rochester offers the following diabetes resources: Diabetes Care Coordination, for people 55 and older with any insurance; and Living Healthy With Diabetes, a 6-session, peer-led health education program. Please call Lifespan at (585) 244-8400 if you have questions.
Medical Office Space Available at1050 Pittsford-Victor Rd, Bldg B Pittsford, NY 14534. 3,132 SF in Class A office building; second floor suite; build out option available. Rent is $20/sf with negotiable lease terms.Available July 1, 2017. See flyer for more info.
NY State Budget Enacted – MSSNY Advocacy Results in the Removal of Many Problematic Provisions. Thanks to strong advocacy by MSSNY physician leaders, MSSNY member physicians, county medical societies, and the many specialty societies with whom MSSNY works closely, the final Budget enacted DID NOT contain several objectionable provisions that had been opposed by MSSNY. http://bit.ly/2ovtERu
Effective 3/1/2017, NYS Medicaid has eliminated age restrictions when dispensing non-prescription emergency contraceptive drugs to Medicaid-enrolled females without a written order, per FDA guidelines.
NYS requires that every prescriber who holds a DEA license complete three hours of education every three years on addiction, pain management and palliative care. MSSNY is offering 3 CME webinars on Pain Managment, Palliative Care and Addiction. Course work is required by July 1, 2017. Registration is free for MSSNY Members.
- Quality Payment Program slides from CMS.
- The AMA is offering several educational opportunities to help physicians understand the requirements of the new QPP that was created by MACRA. The sessions have been scheduled to give physicians an understanding of what the final rule means for their practice and what they need to do as part of the QPP. More info.
- Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA) Quality Payment Program Final Rule - AMA Summary (Oct. 17, 2016), including notes where key improvements were made to the policies set forth in the original proposed rule.
- Overview of Advocacy Results on Major MACRA Rule Provisions, from AMA.
- CMS Extends Deadlines for 2016 PQRS EHR Submissions to Friday, March 31, 2017.
- 2016 PQRS educational materials are available from CMS.
- PQRS Tipsheet - Incentive Eligibility & 2016 Negative Payment Adjustment
- NYS Workers' Compensation Board Form Submission Guidelines
- The NYS Workers’ Compensation Board is creating a web-based Medical Portal, enabling users to submit medical information electronically The first phase of the Medical Portal will be for the electronic submission of C-4-AUTH, MG-1, and MG-2 medical authorization treatment requests. They will be holding 1-hour webinars to demonstrate the Portal.
Section 1557 Rule
- Final Section 1557 Rule - Nondiscrimination in Health Care Programs and Activities, by Donald Moy, Esq., Kern Augustine PC.
- Section 1557 of the Patient Protection and ACA Prohibits Discrimination; Regulations Issued by HHS, provided by Donald Moy, Esq. Kern Augustine, PC.
- Appendix A to Part 92 - Sample notice informing individuals about nondiscrimination
- Nondiscrimination statement for significant publications and signification communications that are small size
- Appendix B to Part 92 - Sample tagline informing individuals with limited English Proficiency of language assistance services
- Top 15 Non-English Languages in NYS, from CMS
- Translated resources for covered entities, from HHS
Antibiotics & Posters
- Antibiotic Resistance Resources: The use of antibiotics is the single most important factor leading to antibiotic resistance and antibiotics are among the most commonly prescribed drugs used in human medicine. To assist you in your efforts to educate your patients about proper prescribing, the Monroe County DOH and MCMS developed a poster for use in exam and waiting rooms. The poster succinctly communicates needed information on bacteria and viruses and can be printed in either 8 1/2 x 11 or 11/17. There are numerous other promotional products at CDC's web site. If you are interested in further exploring this topic see information at cdc.gov/getsmart/index.html
- Snort. Sniffle. Sneeze. No Antibiotics Please, a CDC brochure for parents explains the difference between bacteria and viruses, what antibiotics are, and how bacteria become resistant. It also answers FAQs about when a child does or does not need an antibiotic.
- Hand Hygiene Guidelines for healthcare settings.
- Cover Your Cough poster.
- Electronic Prescribing FAQs - updated Oct 2016
- 9/20/16 - E-Prescribing Bill Signed by Governor Cuomo
- DOH process for use of e-Rx Exemptions
- E-prescribing mandate reminder from the NYS Department of Health
- Letter from the NYS Commissioner of Health to practitioners and pharmacists regarding additional temporary exceptions to the electronic prescribing mandate (effective March 27, 2016). For additional information regarding e-prescribing, visit the Bureau of Narcotic’s webpage.
- E-Prescribing Waiver Applications Now Available from BNE
- StatLaw® Q&A re: e-prescribing waiver, from Kern Augustine Conroy & Schoppmann
Opioids and Chronic Pain
- CDC Guideline for Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain
- New publications and resources on opioid and heroin abuse can be ordered free of charge for patients and parents on the NYS website
- Effective June 1, 2016, Medicare Part D prescriptions will only be covered if the prescriber is enrolled in Medicare or has a valid opt-out affidavit on file with Medicare. If you are not enrolled in Medicare and wish to do so, you will need to complete the necessary enrollment through the PECOS system or complete a 855o form and mail to CMS at National Government Services, Inc., P.O. Box 7149, Indianapolis, IN 46207-7149.
- Meaningful Use Hardship Exemption Fact Sheet, from AMA
- NGS Medicare Revalidation
- Updated - CMS Medicare Learning Network preventive medicine guide/chart (online) and pdf summary.
NYSDOH is offering a 4-hour medical use of marijuana course. Physicians who wish to register with the Department and certify their patients for the Medical Marijuana Program must complete this course, which covers pharmacology of marijuana; contraindications; side effects; adverse reactions; overdose prevention; drug interactions; dosing; routes of administration; risks and benefits; warnings and precautions; and abuse and dependence. Cost: $249. 4.5 hours of CME credit upon successful completion of the course. Access the course here.
- ICD-10 glitch leads CMS to relax physician quality penalties. The CMS issued a 2-year pass to physicians and group practices due to a glitch with quality reporting measures based on a recent update to the ICD-10 diagnosis and procedure codes. Only certain specialties and procedures will be impacted by this waiver of negative payment adjustments. The majority of ICD-10-CM coding changes that impacted 2016 PQRS measures were related to diabetes, pregnancy, cardiovascular, oncology, mental health and eye disease diagnosis. More info.
- ICD-10 - Next Steps for Providers Assessment & Maintenance Toolkit, from CMS
- CMS Will Reimburse ICD-10 Mistakes During First Year After Transition - StateLaw Q&A from Kern Augustine Conroy & Schoppmann, P.C.
- ACIP updates recommendations on HPV, HepB, MenB vaccines
- Interim recommendations of the CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) regarding the use of FluMist® Quadrivalent for the 2016-2017 season.
- LAIV is not recommended for 2016-2017 Flu Season. Many practices have already ordered influenza vaccine for the 2016-2017 season. If you are interested in canceling your order(S) for LAIV, contact your vaccine distributor. See chart for helpful info.
- 2016 ACIP Recommended Immunization Schedules, Age 0 through 18. Summary of changes in schedule from 2016 to 2016.
- MMWR: New ACIP recommendations on intervals between PCV13 and PPSV23 pneumococcal vaccines. Co-authored by MCMS member Nancy Bennett, MD 1.usa.gov/1g7ZUCf
- Important notice from the NYS Dept of Health regarding new school immunization requirements.
- Updated NYSDOH Meningococcal B, HPV9, Influenza and Yellow Fever vaccine recommendations.
- MCMS Vaccination Statement
Monroe County Medical Society
7th District Branch of the Medical Society of the State of New York
Serving Monroe, Livingston, Ontario, Seneca, Steuben, Wayne & Yates Counties
The Park at Allens Creek
132 Allens Creek Road
Rochester, New York 14618
Tel: (585) 473-7573 • Fax: (585) 473-7641
Contact Us • Driving Directions
© Copyright 2016 Monroe County Medical Society • Legal Disclaimer and Copyright Notice
Rochester skyline image © Sheridan Vincent