Welcome to Monroe County Medical Society
Rochester Lifestyle Medicine, PLLC and the Rochester Academy of Medicine (RAM) will present Reversing Heart Disease with Lifestyle Changes, at RAM on March 31 at 4:30 PM and 7:30 PM. Dinner option at 6:00 pm. Presented by Caldwell Esselstyn, MD, Author of Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease. Ticket info.
Thanks to all who helped us make the 2016 MCMS Annual Meeting a success. Special thanks to Dr. Walter Brooks, who took some great photos that can be viewed here.
Notice from DOH Comm. Dr. Zucker and OASAS Comm. Gonzalez-Sanchez re: resources to assist with accessing substance use disorder care.
Monroe County Influenza Surveillance Oct 1, 2015 – April 23, 2016, from the Rochester Emerging Infections Program, Center for Community Health, URMC.
Handout from NYSDOH for medical providers that highlights the steps for prescribing Pre-exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) and provides links to resources about PrEP.
A Guide to Physician-Focused Alertnative Payment Models, from the AMA.
The Feds are Coming! Are You Ready for a HIPAA Compliance Audit? from Underberg & Kessler.
MCMS announces a new Preferred Vendor – AdvoWaste Medical Services. See flyer, which describes their exclusive offering to MCMS members. If you are interested in speaking to their representatives, please let them know you are a member of MCMS.
- The NYS Budget has passed. See NYS health care related budget summary, prepared by MSSNY. The Excess Layer has been preserved, Retail Based Clinics continue to be held at bay, and the low volume e-prescribing exception was approved.
- DOH process for use of e-Rx Exemptions
- E-prescribing mandate reminder from the NYS Department of Health
- Letter from the NYS Commissioner of Health to practitioners and pharmacists regarding additional temporary exceptions to the electronic prescribing mandate (effective March 27, 2016). For additional information regarding e-prescribing, visit the Bureau of Narcotic’s webpage.
- E-Prescribing Waiver Applications Now Available from BNE
- StatLaw® Q&A re: e-prescribing waiver, from Kern Augustine Conroy & Schoppmann
- NYSDOH Zika Posters and Fact Sheets
- CDC printable posters and fact sheets on Zika.
- CDC Update: Interim Guidelines for Prevention of Sexual Transmission of Zika Virus — United States, 2016
- NYSDOH Webinar: Zika Virus - What New York State Clinicians Need to Know - provides updated guidance on Zika virus and reviews Zika virus testing eligibility, processes, and interpretation of results.
- NYSDOH Health Advisory: Commissioner's Webinar on Zika Virus
- Infants & Zika Virus - Q&As for Pediatric Healthcare Providers, from CDC
- Pregnant Women and Zika Virus - Q&As for Obstetrical HCP, from CDC
- CDC releases Interim Guidelines for Pregnant Women During a Zika Virus Outbreak
- Healthy Advisory from NYSDOH re: Zika Virus
- 2016 PQRS educational materials are available from CMS.
- PQRS Tipsheet - Incentive Eligibility & 2016 Negative Payment Adjustment
Medicare Part D
- Webinar: Medicare Online Enrollment Step-by-Step Tutorial for Part D Prescribers
- Effective June 1, 2016, Medicare Part D prescriptions will only be covered if the prescriber is enrolled in Medicare or has a valid opt-out affidavit on file with Medicare. If you are not enrolled in Medicare and wish to do so, you will need to complete the necessary enrollment through the PECOS system or complete a 855o form and mail to CMS at National Government Services, Inc., P.O. Box 7149, Indianapolis, IN 46207-7149.
- CDC Guideline for Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain
- New publications and resources on opioid and heroin abuse can be ordered free of charge for patients and parents on the NYS website
- Webinar: New CPT Codes for Advance Care Planning and MOLST Discussions, by Patricia Bomba, MD, FACP
- Meaningful Use Hardship Exemption Fact Sheet, from AMA.
- MLMIC announces 20% dividend. To take advantage of this dividend, you simply need to be insured by May 1, 2016, and maintain continuous coverage through July 1, 2016. Read more.
- McKesson Customer Alert: New Social Engineering Scheme
- 2016 EHR Negative Payment Adjustment Tipsheet for Eligible Professionals, from CMS. More info here.
- The NYS Workers’ Compensation Board is creating a web-based Medical Portal, enabling users to submit medical information electronically The first phase of the Medical Portal will be for the electronic submission of C-4-AUTH, MG-1, and MG-2 medical authorization treatment requests. They will be holding 1-hour webinars to demonstrate the Portal.
NYSDOH is offering a 4-hour medical use of marijuana course. Practitioners who wish to register with the Department and certify their patients for the Medical Marijuana Program must complete this course. The course covers: the pharmacology of marijuana; contraindications; side effects; adverse reactions; overdose prevention; drug interactions; dosing; routes of administration; risks and benefits; warnings and precautions; and abuse and dependence. Cost: $249. Practitioners will earn 4.5 hours of CME credit upon successful completion of the course. Access the course here.
- ICD-10 - Next Steps for Providers Assessment & Maintenance Toolkit, from CMS
- CMS Will Reimburse ICD-10 Mistakes During First Year After Transition - StateLaw Q&A from Kern Augustine Conroy & Schoppmann, P.C.
- CMS welcomes ICD-10
- 2016 ACIP Recommended Immunization Schedules, Age 0 through 18. Summary of changes in schedule from 2016 to 2016.
- MMWR: New ACIP recommendations on intervals between PCV13 and PPSV23 pneumococcal vaccines. Co-authored by MCMS member Nancy Bennett, MD 1.usa.gov/1g7ZUCf
- Important notice from the NYS Dept of Health regarding new school immunization requirements.
- New flu vaccine recommendations. Prevention and Control of Influenza with Vaccines from the ACIP for 2015-16. http://1.usa.gov/1N6W7CH
- Updated NYSDOH Meningococcal B, HPV9, Influenza and Yellow Fever vaccine recommendations.
- CDC's new 2015 recommended immunization schedules for children http://1.usa.gov/1zzDanr & adolescents http://1.usa.gov/1yNGSrk
- MCMS Vaccination Statement
- NYSDOH Health Advisory: 2015-16 Influenza Vaccine Supply Determination
- NGS Medicare Revalidation
Physicians who are participating in the Medicaid based DSRIP through the local FLPPS will receive a physician agreement soon. Kern, Augustine, Conroy and Schoppmann, on behalf of MCMS, performed a legal review of the document. Comments can be found by logging into the Member area of the MCMS web site. Additional information about DSRIP and FLPPS can be found at http://flpps.org/.
Show Your MCMS Membership With A Member Badge! Post the badge on your website, in print materials, and in your email signature.Show that you stand with us in advocating for issues for the betterment of the medical profession; you belong to a professional organization committed to the health of our community.
Snort. Sniffle. Sneeze. No Antibiotics Please, a CDC brochure for parents explains the difference between bacteria and viruses, what antibiotics are, and how bacteria become resistant. It also answers FAQs about when a child does or does not need an antibiotic.
- New Federal Communications Commission's Ruling Affects Medical Debt Collecting, from Kern Augustine Conroy & Schoppmann, PC.
Monroe County Medical Society
7th District Branch of the Medical Society of the State of New York
Serving Monroe, Livingston, Ontario, Seneca, Steuben, Wayne & Yates Counties
The Park at Allens Creek
132 Allens Creek Road
Rochester, New York 14618
Tel: (585) 473-7573 • Fax: (585) 473-7641
Contact Us • Driving Directions
© Copyright 2014 Monroe County Medical Society • Legal Disclaimer and Copyright Notice
Rochester skyline image © Sheridan Vincent