Before you code another claim, improve your understanding of the rules of coding and documentation. This class is an essential coding primer with detailed instruction and workbook exercises to quickly improve coding proficiency and accuracy. Get a comprehensive look at the complete reimbursement process for physician services. Receive hundreds of professional tips and guidelines that will make you a more efficient, versatile, and accurate coder.
1. A comprehensive look at ICD-10 diagnostic coding, CPT®, HCPCS Level II coding systems
2. Use the language of coding to tell the story of the patient encounter
3. Maximize productivity when you learn to use your coding books more effectively
4. Learn the importance of documentation and proper code selection
Participants will gain excellent comprehension in all the following areas:
- What payers want and why
- The role of each coding language and how they fit together
- How to use the CPT®& ICD-10-CM code books
- The seven components used in defining the levels of E/M services
- How to read a source document
- How to locate a code from the index
- Definition of a new patient vs. established patient
- When to use '95 vs. '97 guidelines
- Benefits of basic medical terminology knowledge
- Reporting additional medical services and supplies not covered under Level I CPT codes
- Valuable guidelines/conventions of coding that apply to all coders regardless of specialty
- Steps for coding unlisted procedures
Who Should Attend
This program is designed for coders, auditors, providers, clinical, and practice staff involved in learning or reviewing the basics of all aspects of medical coding. Consultants, compliance officers and office managers may also benefit.
This a basic course for those seeking well-rounded knowledge of coding for physician services.
What to Bring
For maximum benefit, participants should bring current CPT® and ICD-10-CM coding books to this class. Class workbook includes time-saving tips for getting the most out of the PT® & ICD-10-CM coding manuals.
Program Flyer: Principles of Coding flyer.pdf
This program is approved for 6 CEUS.
MCMS may photograph this event for marketing purposes. Unless this permission is revoked in writing to MCMS, by virtue of their attendance, all program participants agree to the use of the event photo in MCMS marketing.