Curb error rates and denials to improve your practice's bottom line. This course is designed for clinicians and coders actively involved in diagnostic coding in a medical practice. This fast-paced workshop provides instruction and hands-on exercises in the 21 chapters of ICD-10-CM.
5 Reasons to Attend
- Instructional manual and access to faculty to address specific questions
- In-class exercises will sharpen diagnostic coding accuracy
- Expand your knowledge of the critical role that clinical documentation plays in correct coding
- Curb error rates and denials and improve your bottom line
- Protect the practice from audits that could result in big fines
Reliance on EMRs for proper code selection is dangerous! Failure to code to the highest degree of specificity negatively impacts reimbursement as well as utilization statistics.
Coders must know how to code to the highest degree of specificity and cross-reference to verify accuracy. It has never been more important to have a strong foundation in diagnostic coding principles and guidelines.
- Learn the ICD-10-CM conventions with detailed examples
- Explanation of current general and chapter specific coding guidelines in ICD-10
- Understanding the coding system's format and structure
- Usage of the placeholder character "X" and 7th character extensions
- Working with Excludes1 and Excludes2 notes
- Know the categories of Z code
- Classification and proper coding of diseases and injuries
- Clarification of signs, symptoms and ill-defined conditions
- How to code for sequela (late effects)
- Correct sequencing of codes
- Coding for orthopedics, pregnancy/childbirth/puerperium, infectious disease, neoplasms, diabetes and more
- Hands-on exercises to improve proficiency within a variety of chapters/specialties
Who Should Attend
This course is designed for coding and billing professionals, providers, office managers, consultants, and anyone seeking a better understanding of outpatient diagnostic coding.
This is a basic-level course. Content assumes some knowledge of outpatient coding and reimbursement.
What to Bring
Participants must bring an ICD-10-CM Code Set manual to this class.
Practice Management Institute® (PMI) teaches physicians and their staffs how to properly navigate complex healthcare issues and secure every dollar rightfully due. PMI programs focus on solutions for coding, reimbursement, compliance and practice productivity. These training programs have been hosted in leading hospitals, medical societies, and colleges across the U.S. for more than 30 years.
This program is approved for 6 CEUS.
MCMS may photograph this event for marketing purposes. Unless this permission is revoked in writing to MCMS, by virtue of their attendance, all program participants agree to the use of the event photo in MCMS marketing.